Wednesday, May 27, 2009

everybody to the grill, there's a fire!





















Have to say I love to grill, no heating the house, less clean up and the smell of meat on an open fire makes me feel animal. Last night Fish was the sacrificial lamb, Mahi Mahi to be precise, so nice I had to say it twice.




Love grilling Mahi as it holds up well both to the flames and any flavor profile you care to impart on it. I went with cumin, Lime, smoked Paprika, garlic,onion powder, not usually a big fan of the garlic or onion powder but i was pressed for time and it hits the fish quicker. A nice blast of salt and black pepper, drizzle of Olive Oil and away we went. Most of my time and energy went into a platter of veggies, Baby Eggplant, Fennel, Portabello Mushroom, Yellow Holland Peppers, Jalapenos, Red Onion, Zucchini and a tomato, which I tossed with fresh Oregano, Mint, Thyme and Garlic, Olive Oil/Balsamic vinegar. More salt and pepper and let them soak up the goodness for an hour or so. While those were resting I set about making a Tomatillo sauce to go on the Fish. Tomatillos, if you have never used them make a great sauce for just about everything short of Corn Flakes. To save a little time I pre peeled the tomatillos, around 3/4 of a pound and grilled them until the blackened, around 8 minutes total. Grilled 3 thick red onion slices and 3 jalapenos, about the same cooking time and let them sit in a bowl to cool for 5 minutes. Then the whole mix went into the blender along with 1 clove of garlic, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of salt, a small handful of cilantro and the juice of one lime, blend on pulse until sauce-like and you have a cool accompaniment, warm or cold, for everything, makes a great sauce for Tacos.After the Grilled veggies cooled enough to touch I rough chopped them, added more S/P, dash of Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar and tossed them in a bowl with a little more fresh herbs I had saved from my previous chopping. The Fish came off the grill after about 4/5 per side, I have a kettle grill which tends to grill very hot, also I like my fish on undercooked side, as well as meats and frankly most things. Though the Mahi will take to longer heat, it is nice a little rare, more flavor and beter texture, if your meat and fish are fresh, and why use them if they are not?, rarer is better for most cuts, with the exception of tougher cuts that require braising and long slow cooking times to bring out the flavor.


So, fish came off the grill, sauce hot the plate, fish on top, veggies on the side and a wedge of lime, little more S/P and a side salad with light dressing finished out the meal,, all in all, JM and I ate well,, once again, a happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, an arteest in the kitchen and elsewhere!!

    ReplyDelete