Sunday, June 14, 2009

another day at the market







Saturday seems to come with great frequency these days. Perhaps with the summer my weekdays fly by quicker, or I pay even less attention, if that's possible, to what day of the week it is. Whatever the reason, I woke yesterday to the realization that it was Farmers market and I was hungry for more.

So JM and I grabbed our bags and a small cooler and headed over the bridge to Casey Farm. From the top of the Jamestown bridge we could see clear skies ahead, leaving behind some ominous looking clouds hanging over Newport that had caused some consternation on our parts. I love the Farmers market, but trundling around in the rain is not my idea of a good time, plus it tends to water down my coffee. As we arrived I was happy to see the parking lot was twice as full as it had been on my trip and was informed that on JM's visit the week before it had been much the same. Good to see people are finding Casey farm and the wonderful event there every week.









With the warmer weather and the season moving into full swing the vendors tables are getting full and the choices getting a little more difficult. After all, there is only so much food one can purchase and eat for one week. I left JM with the Meat people from Jamestown's own Watson farm, (sadly they as of yet do not have a website), who provided us with some lovely bone in Rib Eye steaks and Andoullie sausage. Due to some Government regulation they, as well all the meat vendors, are only allowed to sell their product frozen, which is fine, except if you want to run home to throw your "catch" on the grill.

I headed straight to the table housing some of the finest shellfish New England has to offer. Matunuk Oyster Farm, (http://www.rhodyoysters.com/), did not disappoint, the Oysters, Littlenecks, Steamers and Lobsters looked fantastic. The table had the scent of the Ocean and it's bounty, I could not have been happier, unless I had my oyster knife and a lemon!










We picked up some baby Spinach, more Arugula, Red Turnips and Garlic Scapes, which I had never seen, along with some homemade Liverwurst from Farm Stead Inc,(http://www.farmsteadinc.com/) . The same people I purchased the Pork Chops from a few weeks back that were such a hit I may never look at a pig the same again. There was also my first Strawberry sighting, however I refrained, waiting for another week or so for the flavor to really come out. They did look great, as did everything. I have also been very happy with the freshness of everything I have received from them. The Arugula I got last week was still beautiful by weeks end. Something I can never say about "commercial" Arugula. So any argument you have about higher prices can get tossed out the window when you factor in waste, even if taste was not an issue, which we both know, IS.

Sadly the coffee was not set up when we were at the market and neither of us functions well without it. I left JM at OLGA's Cup and Saucer, (http://www.olgascupandsaucer.com/) and went to check out the crowd gathered around the Alpaca's. JM did pick up some scrumptious Ginger Scones and a Calamata Olive loaf and some kind of Coffee cake squares that barley made it home. Everything I have tried of theirs has been great and since they are located across the street from SBI, (photo lab, in Providence), I can vouch for their coffee and friendly service as well, ( side note, nice bathroom too!). Great place for a coffee/cookie break in the middle of a busy day.

I have heard of Alpacas but do not think I have ever seen one, certainly not up close and personal. Let me tell you they are cute little dickens and great for entertaining the kids while you are shopping. It was hard to fight through the munchkins to get close enough for a photo. The people from PARADISE Farm Alpacas, (http://www.paradisefarmalpacas.com/),
were very informative and the Alpacas seemed to enjoy the attention. I would have liked to ask a few more questions but my coffee Jones was kicking in and I could see JM drifting toward Robin Hollow Farm's table,(www.robinhollowfarm.com/Home.html ), a sure sign that our weekly trip is coming to an end. So a quick stop to pick up some wonderful flowers, (I highly recommend not leaving without), and we were on our way. The flowers I picked up the previous week were still looking pretty good by weeks end and nothing says summer like having fresh cut flowers on the table by your bedside.

Check back tomorrow to see what becomes of this treasure chest of goodies and have a great day! Remember...WHO'S YOUR FARMER?




2 comments:

  1. I think you have neglected a very important part of your farmers market story, which is to say how is it possible that you have lived all the years of your life without the inspiration to actually (yes, actually), visit one before this year of 2009 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great time at the market! We (the folks who run/sell at the market) LOVE hearing stories like yours. One quick correction, though, Liverwurst and porkchops were from "Pat's Pastured" meat.

    Hope to see you there again!
    Polly Hutchison, Robin Hollow Farm (flowers).

    ReplyDelete