Monday, June 1, 2009

Left overs, right here

Having some "extra" sauce, or left over grilled veggies, a little wild rice, can make a great new meal a very simple task. Take last night for instance. While perusing the fridge I found some of my Tomatillo sauce that had originally gone with Mahi Mahi , (see "Everybody to the Grill", May 27th), the other night. After tasting it I was pleased to find a few days had done it wonders, all the flavors melding together and the heat level significantly higher. Last nights wild rice was sitting pretty in a bowl and looking like it might like to come and play one more night, as well as JM's Rhubarb salsa. Low and behold there were also some grilled vegetables. Now all I needed was a protein and the Bone-in Pork chops I picked up at the farmer's market on Saturday would do the trick. These babies were a thing of beauty, two rib chops weighing in at almost 2 Lbs, they looked more like fine Veal Chops than pork. Being farm raised and organic made them an easy choice for a quick dinner. It had been a long day, doing yard work and catching up on some blogging duties I had been lax about. The pork chops got a healthy dose of Chimayo "special" spice mix, which I have still been unable to pry the exact ingredients out of the good people at Milagrossa Mercatido out of, but I am sure it has red chili, onion, garlic, salt, cumin and a few other things in. Drizzled with olive oil they went back in to the ice box for a few hours while I added the leftover salsa to the wild rice. With a splash of red wine vinegar and O.O., S/P, a few TBL of salsa fresca, (store bought) and a squeeze of lemon the wild rice salad was finished. The grilled veggies and some salad leftovers were going to finish this meal so I went back to watching the Red Sox beating up on Toronto,( finally), and relaxed for the rest of the day. About an hour before service I pulled out the Rice salad and the sauce, veggies and some of those lovely garlic bulbs I bought at the market. The sauce , salad, and veggies needed to get to room temperature to bring out the full flavor. After firing up the grill I tossed on the garlic bulb and a few jalapenos to roast. they were soon blackend and ready to come off, only to be replaced by the Pork chops. About 6 minutes a side did the trick and five minutes to rest while I set up the plates and dressed the salad.This whole meal took no more than 20 minutes to throw together and it was dynamite. The Pork might as well have been Veal chops, when I am the farmers market next week I will get the name and web address of the supplier, these were the best chops I have had since my restaurant days when we often saved the best cuts for ourselves, (don't mention that to my former employer's). So do not dread the leftover dinner, sometimes with a little planning and a bit of luck the student might surpass the master. You be the judge !

1 comment: